Amina | PAPER/PLATES's Reviews > Trapeze

Trapeze by Simon Mawer

Jul 16, 12

Read from June 19 to July 16, 2012

World War II is well underway. The French are hurting; cities are for the first time in worse shape than the country and former staples like coffee and sugar have become luxuries. No one–no one–is spared suspicion. Simon Mawer’s latest novel, Trapeze, follows Marian Sutro, a young woman raised in Switzerland now residing in England. Bored and languishing in a job somehow tangentially related to the war effort, Marian is recruited by a mysterious organization to be embedded as a spy in France.

This is a story that starts fast, with Marian zooming over the French countryside preparing to parachute into uncharted darkness. From there, it reverts to a flashback, the suspense building until we reach that scene again and swoop past into a tangled web of secrets and spies. The whole thing centers on balance, on the way Marian juggles identities and alibis, relationships and persons. As Marian teeters on the edge exposure at any moment, her perseverance, bravery and drive hold her afloat. Despite the danger below, Marian clings to her proverbial trapeze, balancing fear with bravado in her desperate need for purpose as war wages on around her.

Swirling beneath the surface is an inner conflict between past and present. Does Marian still love Clement, the older man she desired as a teenager, or has she moved on to the insatiable Benoit, her spying partner and doting admirer? Fluent in English and French, she struggles to decide which defines her more, a confusion that only deepens as she adopts new identities in her travels.

This story held my attention rapt over the few days I took to read it. Between readings, I was thinking about Marian, her adventures and her struggles. Whenever I had a few minutes, I would sneak in a couple of pages, just to get more of the story. Read the rest of the review at PAPER/PLATES.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trapeze.