Sarah's Reviews > Beneath a Meth Moon

Beneath a Meth Moon by Jacqueline Woodson

Jun 20, 2012

bookshelves: realistic-fiction, yalsa-best-fiction, young-adult
Read from June 19 to 20, 2012

This was a lyrical, yet realistic book explaining the danger and sadness of drug addiction. Laurel is fifteen and has moved to Iowa after experiencing terrible loss. Instead of dealing with the grief of her past, she turns to meth and can't stop leading her to run away from home. Her story is depressing and seemingly hopeless.

The format of the book is a little confusing. We switch between Laurel's current life and her past often without warning. I found myself having to stop and think at the start of each chapter whether or not it was past or present. While this was confusing, it also led to a little mystery. Instead of finding out exactly what happened in Laurel's past through a quick paragraph, it comes in little snapshots. The past and present unfold simultaneously revealing how much they are interconnected. By the end of the book I appreciated the format immensely.

I absolutely recommend this book for the heartbreaking story, beautiful writing, and layered plot. It's captivating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beneath a Meth Moon.