Becca's Reviews > What We Keep

What We Keep by Elizabeth Berg

Jan 08, 09

bookshelves: i-have-in-my-possession
Read in January, 2009

** spoiler alert ** So, I finished this book in a little less than two days. It's a good character study --- simply put, you will not like the main character unless you are exactly like her. She's a bit one-dimensional in the fact that she refuses to widen her view of the world.

These days, most everyone has experienced some sort of "broken home" syndrome, so if you go into this and are already jaded, then it's going to be hard for you to enjoy this book. To me, there were some really obvious things that happened in this lady's life that she just didn't seem to get --- in a sense, she's like a mature, female version of the main character in "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" because she doesn't want to veer from her bird's eye view of what's right and what's wrong.

The book is indeed well written; the imagery is precise and Elizabeth Berg really gives you just enough to satisfy you without burdening you with useless words and phrases. But patience with the main character and her family is the key -- trust me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What We Keep.