Crista's Reviews > A Thin, Dark Line

A Thin, Dark Line by Emma Elliot

3194546
Sep 21, 12

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, kindle, netgalley, suspense, tear-jerkers, tortured-heroes
Read from September 20 to 21, 2012

What a nice surprise A Thin, Dark Line turned out to be! I'm always wary of debut novels, but this debut reads like the work of a veteran author. It was an incredible, emotional, riveting romantic suspense novel that I finished in one sitting.

Cormac O'Malley has returned to town after serving a prison sentence for murder. He is shunned by the entire town except for Eloise Carmichael, the town's librarian. She hires Cormac as a repair man for the library. There is an instant attraction between the two of them that slowly develops and intensifies nicely throughout the book.

When a string of homocides occur after Cormac's return, and even Eloise's life is threatened, Cormac is an instant suspect. This book focuses on slowly putting the pieces together of Cormac's past and it's ties to the current murders and the murder for which he was convicted.

I loved this book. Cormac is a very special kind of hero. He is fiercely protective of those he loves, even those who don't necessarily deserve it. The way he treats Eloise when she is rehabilitating, the way he interacts with Eloise's godson's, and even how he nurtures a little baby kitten back to health makes the reader fall in love with him right along side Eloise.

This book is very mild on the physical sensuality scale, but as far as emotional sensuality....it is burning! The connection that Cormac and Eloise share is genuine and feels very authentic. The epilogue is just awesome and I dare you to guess "who done it". I was shocked!!!

Highly recommended.

A huge thanks to Emma Elliott and The Writer's Coffee Shop via Netgalley for providing me with this ARC for review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thin, Dark Line.

09/19/2012
09/20/2012
30.0% "I am loving Cormac...but he's not getting enough page time!! I'm getting bored with Eloise and her family:-("
09/21/2012
45.0% "What is it about fictional ex-cons??? Some of my favorite fictional heroes have done time!! Hmm? Here's another one...yummy Cormac!"
09/21/2012
100.0% "Wow....great debut book!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

KatLynne Wonderful review Crista! I loved this too:)

Crista Thanks Katlynne!
Yes....this one was a great treat! I am a sucker for an ex-con romance!

Ruth Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one too!

I loved it! And just as you say, it's tough believing it's a debut. The characters and plot felt nicely real without any of those irritating big misunderstandings or other rubbish going on.

Crista Yes Ruth..this one was written like a veteran wrote it:) Refreshing.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Great review, Crista. I really need to read this book soon.