Gerald's Reviews > Unnatural Acts

Unnatural Acts by Stuart Woods

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012, author-woods, genre-fiction, genre-mystery
Read from June 19 to 20, 2012

Stuart Woods’ most recent offering in his Stone Barrington series is pretty good. Stone’s erstwhile pest Herbie Fisher has radically evolved from his character in earlier novels as a tabloid-level photographer attending night law school to become an associate attorney at Stone’s prestigious law firm Woodman and Wells. After a series of deft maneuvers and a lot of luck, Herbie, who now wishes to be called Herb, starts to “make some rain,” i.e., bring in some substantial new business and big-name clients. Following this, he is promoted to senior associate, gets his own secretary, a bigger office, etc. Off-setting all these improvements in his circumstances are a number of negative issues, including his having to “babysit” an ultra-wealthy client’s son, who has just escaped from the drug-rehab program where Herb had gotten him placed at his father’s request. Herb soon finds that there is more to his son’s negative behavior than he originally thought and finds himself scrambling for his life. Meanwhile, full-partner attorney Stone and his good friend and former police partner Dino are hot on the trail of a serial killer, who just happens to be a former deputy director of the FBI.

Stone, Dino, Herb, and a colorful cast of additional characters are busy throughout the book dealing with a host of both challenging as well as enjoyable issues. As with all the other books in this series, this one is a fast, fun read. I do recommend this for Stuart Woods’ fans.

[Book 50 of revised 2012 target 70 (Jan-10; Feb-11; Mar-9; Apr-8; May-7; Jun-5)]

NOTE: When I finished reading this book, I completed an unstated goal I set about the end of February, i.e., reaching my original target of 50 books read this year in half that time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unnatural Acts.