Heather's Reviews > One Moment

Jun 19, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: youngadult
Read in June, 2012

I was hooked when I heard the premise of the story - Maggie’s boyfriend Joey falls to his death and she can’t remember it. And she knows she’s not being told the truth. With everyone pushing for answers, will she remember? Or will she let herself forget?

I thought the plot fairly obvious, but nonetheless the mystery slowly reveals the pieces of the puzzle. I think it’s not just the puzzle of his death, but the puzzle that are friends. When a piece goes missing, the puzzle is no longer complete – do you fill it in with something else, something new, or do you move forward, missing the piece?

What I also love is how McBride reveals the layers of friendship, and how you can’t ever know someone fully. And I think that that will resonate with teens. McBride does a great job at making the teens feel like teens – they talk like teens, behave like teens, and are slowly creeping into adulthood with all the bravado of 17 year olds. And the adults aren’t caricatures; they play a role, a strong one, and push Maggie to deal with her grief and memory loss.

Would definitely recommend this to other YA readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Moment.