Mark's Reviews > Introducing Kierkegaard

Introducing Kierkegaard by Dave Robinson

Jun 19, 12

Read in May, 2012

When your high school son takes an exceptional interest in existential philosophy--to the point of asking for Kierkegaard and Nietzchse as Christmas presents, and picking it as his college major--you'd better not get left in the metaphysical dust! I'm a big fan of Wikipedia entries for quickly gaining an overall introduction to a topic, but this helped me get to a next level. Sam bought this book at the UC Davis bookstore when he made his decision to go there, and suggested I read it, too.

Whew! It's heady and depressing stuff. I sort of knew it would be, just based on the (very) little bit that I knew about Soren Kierkegaard already. Though I disagree with his interpretations in many ways, I do appreciate that he was one of the first philosophical theologians, taking critical thinking about man's existence along WITH faith, rather than discarding it.

I still the guy needed a good hug, or a slap, or SOMETHING to help him separate his own *personal* sorrow from the deep & *universal* questions he was tackling. He needed a wife like Abagail Adams, I think.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Introducing Kierkegaard.