Lorenzo Berardi's Reviews > Altri libertini

Jan 04, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: 2007, italian, a-my-italian-library
Read in January, 2007

Although Tondelli was a genius, definitely this is not my favourite kind of literature. I'm too strictly connected to the boring places of Northern Italy in which the author moves his depraved young characters.

The crowded bus full of sweated teenagers with their big sized phosphorescently coloured backpacks I took to came back home on thousands of unglorious high school days. The trivial jokes we made. The vulgar interests we have. The same commercial advertising fueled dreams we share. The vacuous light blue eyed girls we all pretended to love. The low profile of everything. The Simpsons watched on Tv biting a cheese, mayonnaise and ham sandwich.

I need to put more physical and mental distance between me and those things to appreciate and being emotionally hit by this collection of short stories. Albeit sex and drugs role in "Altri Libertini" is a lot of times bigger than in my quiet youth, I can feel the same sensations I felt through these pages and this is a task too hard for me right now.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Altri libertini.

02/08 marked as: read

message 1: by Kinga (new)

Kinga this wasn't published in English, was it?

Lorenzo Berardi Hi Kinga, I'm afraid nothing by Tondelli has ever been translated into English. Which is a pity as he was one of the most original, influential (and controversial) Italian novelists in the 1980s. "Altri libertini" is not my cup of tea, but it would deserve an English chance.