booklady's Reviews > Something Fresh

Something Fresh by P.G. Wodehouse

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012, favorites, fiction, humor, 1990s, 2003
Read from June 19 to 20, 2012, read count: 3

Something Fresh IS! I can’t remember the last time a book had me laughing out loud—you’d think I’d never read this before. (Guess there’s something to be said for my poor memory after all.) But actually, reading P. G. Wodehouse silently to oneself is treat enough, while listening to his stories performed by Frederick Davidson on the audio version doubles the pleasure.

The first of the infamous Blanding’s novels introduces Lord Emsworth (Clarence Threepwood, 9th Earl of Emsworth) and the castle itself, lying in the picturesque Vale of Blandings, Shropshire, England, two miles from the town of Market Blandings, a place where time is suspended and the greatest worries is what will be for Tea.

There is one particularly hilarious scene after which The Efficient Baxter finds all his efforts to clear his character go unheeded. Anyplace besides Blandings and in any other hands but those of our inestimable author, this would be tragedy. Instead, it was pure mirth. Thank you for the most sublime pleasure!

My first visit has come to a close; I’m all ready back at Blandings reading Summer Lightning and listening to Psmith in the City. Summer vacations don't get much better than this ... even if you are cleaning house in between books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Fresh.