Stacey's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

1020736
Jun 19, 12

bookshelves: my-library-hardcover, signed, all-time-favorites, imo
Read in June, 2012

Another recommendation from a friend, I devoured this one in just a couple of evenings, at the expense of sleep. It has been awhile since I've sacrificed shut-eye for a good story. The writing is very beautiful, but doesn't make you eat your veggies before getting to dessert. The action and suspense is driven, and even though I was pretty sure I had elements of the mystery figured out at various points (and I did!) I was never completely sure. This makes the reveals fun in a "I was right!" sort of way instead of "I knew it, that's sooooo obvious." I think this is how a good mystery should be - enough clues to work it out, but not so many that there's no payoff, and neither should one be blindsided by a reveal that is completely unsupported by clues.

This is a dumb review (don't have time or inclination for a proper one,) and is not expressing how much I loved the writing itself, which flowed so well that it pulled me along hour by hour. If I could figure out a way that good writing could have the same effect on my skin as "beauty sleep," then I'd add this one to the list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tracy Glad you liked it!
I also love the 'skirting the edge' of magical realism that he does. And his translator is superb!