Gary's Reviews > Agyar

Agyar by Steven Brust

Jul 20, 12

bookshelves: kindle, viableparadise
Read from July 16 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I read this book because later in the year I will be attending a workshop at which the author, Steven Brust, is an instructor. As a kind of game, I didn't read the book's summary/blurb. I wanted to let the story engage me on its own merits without knowing what it was about.

It took me a while to put together the clues. Not long, but if I had read "This is a novel about a vampire..." it would have taken away some of the fun of not knowing, of having to piece together the clues, of figuring things out.

The main character in this book is very well developed, and I am sorry that Agyar is a stand-alone novel, even though that is why I chose it in the first place. I'd like to read more about him. Some of the other characters are less three-dimensional, but they are depicted through the eyes of the main character. A predator.

I don't normally like books wherein the character acknowledges writing the very book that I am reading, addressing the act of writing and conjecturing about who might be reading it. But...this really worked for me, in this case. I wasn't put off by it in the least. Well, maybe a little at the very beginning, but I got over it. :)

This is a vampire novel. And yet, it is not a Vampire Novel. It is not soaked in seduction, sex, and blood, although those definitely play a part. But they are not the part. The story is about Jack/John Agyar and what he must do to overcome the difficulty he finds himself in. If that occasionally involves seduction, sex, and blood, that's because it's what he must do to live.

It is a violent story, but told from the viewpoint of the creature who must commit violence or die. He seems callous at times, vindictive and cruel at others, but tender and regretful as well. He is a man of some honor, but it's an odd kind of honor that's a bit horrifying at times.

I look forward to reading more of Brust's work.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agyar.

message 1: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted I am very jealous that you get to go to a workshop with him. He is incredibly creative and original. Have fun!

Gary Thedore17 wrote: "I am very jealous that you get to go to a workshop with him. He is incredibly creative and original. Have fun!"

Thanks! I'm a bit excited myself. :)