Usagi-chan's Reviews > The Black Cauldron

The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read on June 19, 2012

Loved this book, though it's aimed for children it is a good read for all ages! Perhaps it can even remind of us things we have forgotten because they are not widely seen in our everyday lives anymore. Lloyd Alexander has talent, and it is clearly shown in this book. I'd say it's better than the first in the series. You're introduced to all the same characters from the first, which is good because they are a kind of fellowship that works well for the story, it starts out under a threat like the first, but a bigger one. Alexander adds some other good unforgettable characters, (POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT NEXT) including one you think is awful but turns useful and good in the end. (END OF SPOILER) A lot of foreshadowing, and symbolism in this story. Also a lot about humanity that shows how we all have a dark side, and so we shouldn't be quick to judge. Fault someone for their deeds and actions, but don't forget the good they may have done in the past or what they could still do in the future, and we all have things we must overcome. One other thing I noticed quickly was Taran grew up a lot by the middle of this book. I highly recommend this book, I enjoyed it very much!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Cauldron.

Quotes Usagi-chan Liked

Lloyd Alexander
“Indeed, the more we find to love, the more we add to the measure of our hearts.”
Lloyd Alexander, The Black Cauldron