Kristin Walcott Figueroa's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Jul 08, 12

Read from June 27 to July 03, 2012

Wow! I don’t think I have ever read a book quite like this one. It was recommended to me by a friend. She said it was an unbelievable story, and she wasn’t kidding. Unbelievable in a good way, not like an “Are you kidding me? That would never happen.” kind of way. I’m not even sure how to review it without giving too much a way. It’s a story that has to tell itself. It needs to unravel little by little and lead you around by the nose until you’re left shaking your head in the end.

It starts off pretty benign. This relatively affluent, great-looking, New York couple falls on hard times. It is their fifth wedding anniversary, and their marriage has hit a rough patch. Then, she’s gone. Just up and disappears. Looks like foul play. Is it? It’s always the husband, isn’t it? The author deftly takes the reader through their blissful courtship, joyful early years of marriage, grueling struggle and break-down of their relationship, and ultimate culmination of their relationship.

The story is told from both the husband and wife’s perspectives. Each chapter alternates from Amy’s point of view to Nick’s point of view. Since she disappears fairly early on, much of her voice is told through her diary. Nick’s is told in the present tense as the investigation proceeds. Both characters are very complex. Amy’s upbringing has produced in her a perfectionist that cannot stand to be seen as anything less than flawless. Nick is a Momma’s boy. He is a pleaser and charmer. Each struggles to be the other’s ideal without losing themselves in the process. As their facades begin to crumble and they fail themselves and each other, things go terribly awry.

This is a book that has you thinking one thing, then throws you for a loop in another direction, only to change it up and eventually leave you holding your head in bewilderment. A great read. Couldn’t put it down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Siobhan Started out not liking the writing, but kept going. About a third of the way through I was hooked. Eerily psycho because it sounds so believable. A must-read!