Kelly's Reviews > A Scandalous Affair

liked it
bookshelves: novella, review-copy
Read in June, 2012

3.5 out of 5 stars

First of all, I've got to admit that I love heroes with issues, and Hartwell is no exception. Those who like to read about strong male characters that will tell them what to do will probably find him to be a bit of a pansy, but I really like to read about characters who go on some sort of internal journey over the course of a book (novel, novella, short story, whatever). When you have a character who starts out with a major issue or insecurity and gets to discover his strength and value as a human being, you (the reader) get to read a story of the redemptive power of love, and that's my favorite kind of story. Regarding Hartwell's issues, I did find it a bit of a stretch to accept that no one else in his entire life (other than Daphne) had ever looked deeper to try to determine the reason for his apparent coldness. Yes, a lot of people are shallow and self-absorbed, but not everyone is...

Daphne's character development throughout the novella is more subtle than Hartwell's but is still interesting to read. My favorite aspect of this novella is the fun relationship between Daphne and her brother. Both characters are likable (which is lovely and, sadly, unusual) and they actually behave like siblings who know one another on a deeper-than-superficial level and are able to tease. I'm a big fan of authors who manage to write engaging sibling relationships, and I thought Karen Erickson nailed this one.

The big conflict in the story was slightly underwhelming, but that didn't bother me so much in a novella as it would in a full-length novel. The emotional resolution to the story is extremely satisfying even though the conflict was a trifle lame. Bottom line: this novella will provide a delightful hour or two of reading entertainment and leave you smiling, basking in the glow of a happy ending achieved by worthy characters. It's worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Scandalous Affair.

100.0% "Wow, that was surprisingly good."