Stefanie's Reviews > The Maeve Binchy Writers' Club

Jun 19, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: on-writing, nonfiction, collection
Read in June, 2012

I didn't expect much, so I wasn't too let down. I was unappreciative of the first part of the book (about 120 pages), her weekly letters imparting her insights on different writing topics. The information was very basic and could be picked up elsewhere. The sketches are cute, and she's nice enough, but I didn't really see the point of publishing these. The appendix of writing awards/competitions and list of magazines to submit to, found in the middle of the book, was awesome however. The second half of the book consists of seven short stories and 12 columns of Binchy's. This was kind of nice because I'd never actually read any of her work. Some of the stuff was pretty good. Some was so-so.

The best thing about the book was that it got me to start writing short stories and made me excited about submitting them. The worst thing about the book was the pointless journal pages in between each letter and story. Who's really going to use the blank pages in The Maeve Binchy Writers' Club as a journal?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maeve Binchy Writers' Club.