bookczuk's Reviews > Isabel's Daughter

Jun 23, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: bookcrossing
Read from June 19 to 21, 2012

This book had one of the best opening lines I've run across: "The first time I saw my mother was the night she died. The second time was at a party in Santa Fe." I must say that it, and the quote of W.S Merwin ("Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle, Everything I do is stitched with its color") perked up my interest, attention, and curiosity. The book was satisfying enough, soothing my soul after a spate of deep, psychologically chilling mysteries. Avery's search for herself and her birth-mother made for an interesting shared journey through the pages of the book. Some of the side stuff, particularly that related to wise women and healing, simultaneously grabbed my attention and made me wonder about the plethora of intuitive/psychic women that inhabit books. Is it representative of the general population or just a good plot point? (Though interestingly enough, a few days after finishing this, I met one such healer, here in Charleston. I have a strong intuition, but this gal has a spirit guide/shaman in the ether at her side.)

I would have liked more depth to the actual story of Isabel, particularly the end of her days. Her art sounds wonderful, and has inspired me to take up a needle again.

The other thing I loved about this book was the overlay of deliciousness in the food prepared. I wanted to eat with Avery and stitch with Isabel. I remember liking the food elements of another book by this author, too. And I'm going to try to recreate Avery's tea from the descriptions in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Isabel's Daughter.

06/19/2012 page 96
24.0% "Great first line: "The first time I saw my mother was the night she died. The second time was at a party in Santa Fe.""