Brandi's Reviews > Gaia's Secret

Gaia's Secret by Barbara Kloss

May 27, 2015

liked it
Read from June 19 to July 01, 2012

I received this book free from the author. Like many independently published novels, it suffers from lack of better editing. However, it is not a terrible novel. I rather liked it.

Barbara Kloss has a great way of developing her main characters. From the first page, Daria comes through as a rebel teenager who's tired of living a secluded life. She narrates the novel, balancing wit and determination at a level that far exceeds that of most other debut novels. Her growing feelings for Alex, her former childhood friend, are also deftly crafted, from quiet admiration-slash-hate to full-on devotion.

Gaia, too, is a masterpiece. Barbara Kloss describes it with stunning detail, from the smallest flower to towing trees. Just reading through the pages made me want to walk through green forests filled with interesting creatures.

The only downside to this book was the plot. It starts out well, but once Daria continues alone through the forest with the Del Contes, it reaches a point where Daria can't find any answers to her many questions and struggles to decide whether to escape from the family, or stay and see where they lead her. It seemed like she could have at least forced a few answers out of them.

Then, when she find out her father's life may be at risk, she strikes out on her own - playing into her enemy's hands (still not sure why she's so important, or why the Del Contes have been keeping her safe).

I think the book would have been a lot more enjoyable if the author would have revealed more about Daria's background in the first chapters. It would've helped me get into the story more.

Nevertheless, it was a fun read with a satisfying ending. Definitely worth reading if you're looking for great indie fantasy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gaia's Secret.

message 1: by 'Manda (new)

'Manda Ooo awesome, I think I saw this on the giveaways. Is it any good so far?

Brandi Yeah, pretty good. It has an interesting storyline so far: a high school graduate with an overprotective father who finds out there's a separate world called Gaia.