Jenny's Reviews > Boys Don't Cry

Boys Don't Cry by Malorie Blackman

Jul 03, 12

bookshelves: real-life-issues
Read from June 18 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Just finished reading this book and am currently regretting having read it so fast.

Having read Malorie Blackman's Nought & Crosses series, I was expecting another well written book - and I wasn't disappointed. Her writing style is unique and always seems to make a statement with the issues she writes about. But it is not in an in-your-face kind of way, and can still be considered very down-to-earth.

This book was not one I was happy to put down while reading. There were always questions running through my head about what would come next and what decisions were going to be made. But they were never annoyingly predictable, and nor did they make no sense just to please the reader. They were very realistic and it makes the story become all that more real when you read it.

Dante was left to take care of Emma - we learn this from the very start. In this book we get to read about how he learns to cope and be taught on how to take care of her. But that is not all. There are other plot twists which do not come all that clear - at most just a suspicion - until they actually happen. The reader gets pretty much the same insight to the story as the characters do, very little extra information can be found between the lines which is not often found in other books. Surprises when you least expect them keep you reading the book, unwilling to put it down. You get to empathise with the characters as they go through the events contained within this book.

It is another thought-provoking, 'why did I never think of this before' kind of story. Well worth a read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boys Don't Cry.