J.P. Reedman's Reviews > Ancestors of Avalon

Ancestors of Avalon by Diana L. Paxson

Jun 19, 12

Read in January, 2005

Not impressed. MISTS OF AVALON, despite being totally bogus in its 'historical' aspects (guess what? 'Celts' didn't worship some prime Mother Goddess, nor were they a particularly peaceable people)at least had the 'right' feel to it, enough to convince a LOT of readers that this was indeed what ancient Britons were like.
Now in ANCESTORS we have Atlanteans building Stonehenge. Gee, heck, I guess those dumb old Britons were nothing but stupid savages who couldn't figure out how to raise a monument on their own and needed some outsider to help them along (this goes right in with the old antiquarians believing that Romans, Danes, and Greeks had a hand in the building of Stonehenge--all wrong of course.)
I know this is a fantasy novel, and I love fantasy, but whereas MISTs seemed firmly in the historical/fantasy genre, this was dipping over into pure fantasy and not working.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ancestors of Avalon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly So, my dear, who, in your undoubtably expert opinion, did build Stonehenge?
I'm not saying that it was built by the people if Atlantis. However, disagreeing with this notion in a FICTIONAL novel hardly seems the basis for such a nasty review.
Just saying.

message 2: by J.P. (new) - rated it 1 star

J.P. Reedman I actually have studied this period of prehistory for 30 years and work in the field. There are many non-fiction books about the actual building and use of Stonehenge. If you want to have fairies and unicorns included, fine...but I just think that when one is writing 'historical fantasy fiction' there ought to be just a smidgin of historical accuracy somewhere amidst the fantasy? I wonder also if it would be OK for a writer to use,say, native Americans or Aztecs as characters but then, no, relegate them to the sidelines and bring in some 'master race' to build their structures and create their culture? You would hear screams of outrage to high heaven.