Ned's Reviews > A Blaze of Glory

A Blaze of Glory by Jeff Shaara

Jul 06, 12

Read from June 19 to July 06, 2012

Historical novel about the battle of Shiloh. The first major battle of the US Civil War, April 6, 7, 1862. Major in terms of soldiers involved and casualties on both sides. Inflated casualty count due to unbelievable incompetence by generals on both sides.

One of the featured commanders for the Southern Army is Colonel Nathan Bedford Forrest. Forrest survived the battle and after the war became the first Grand Wizard of the KKK; and later became the namesake of Forrest Gump.

My favorite genre is historical fiction. As long as the history is well researched. There is no one better in this genre than Jeff Shaara. As in all of his books, about 13 I think --I have read them all--, Shaara's work is character based, describing battles based on personalities--generals and grunts, mostly historical characters-- on both sides of the battle lines.

As I do with so many of his works, now that I am familiar with what happened in the battle and my interest is suitable whetted, I will pick up a historical text about the Battle of Shiloh and read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Blaze of Glory.