Andrew's Reviews > Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks

Jul 05, 12

bookshelves: firstreads-giveaways
Read from June 26 to July 05, 2012

Where is the border between "real" and "imaginary"? Do various imaginations intersect? How can the results of our imaginations help us in the real world?

Matthew Dicks offers one possible scenario in his new novel, "memoirs of an imaginary friend" . His premise is that imaginary friends help the children who thought them up and created them to cope with the uncertainties and unknowns and vacuums in their lives. This proves especially true for individuals who deal with physical and mental challenges, and imaginary friends may be all that they have to depend on when times of crisis enter their lives.

I found the book to be an enjoyable and easy read. However, I was not entirely in agreement with the authors treatment of the main character, imaginary Budo. Mr. Dicks makes it clear that Budo is spawned from young Max's imagination, but then shows that Budo has knowledge and mental capabilities that are lacking in his real friend. Further, his speech pattern - vocabulary, pacing, sentence structure, etc. - is neither adult nor child-like, but some combination of the two.

In counter-point, it would be a less comfortable read if Budo spoke like the young elementary school students in the book. Further, the book does show that Max is more than may be evident to an outside observer, which would certainly allow Budo to be more than one might expect as well - just not as much as the book allows him to be. And it should be noted that these abilities, especially his communication skills, allow the advancement of the plot and the enlightenment of the reader, which should be goals of any work of fiction.

In general, the book was different than others I've read over the years, and a good use of my time.

Disclosure: My copy of the book was an Advance Reader Copy provided free of charge via the Goodreads.com "FirstReads" program.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.