Hakkalina's Reviews > I, Coriander

I, Coriander by Sally Gardner

Jun 19, 12

It was ? read, well, I am still looking for the right word.... Since I did not like very much darkness of this era. Its cover, which is very bright, does not give back the darkness of the story, well, I expected a light read, but I got a tough one, and not because of the story itself, that was very simple, predictable at least considering the heroine's journey... but the used words, vocabulary. made this story so dark.

The story was taken place from 1643, yeah those years are not known from their beautiness. A kind of cruelness was covered the story all along, in which I was not interested, so some sentences, sections were remained untouched by me.

The book started well, but when the father had left his daughter for the stepmother's "care", a part of my interest was left as well, how could a caring father do such a thing? This father was so friendly, lovely, but after losing her wife and accusing of him some political issues ... he left. ?? Yes, Coriander's story started at this point, she set out her journey to fight with the Devil, her mother's stepmother to save Fairy Land. I understood that the father had to leave .. to leave alone his daughter... in order that she could save Fairy Land ..... but caring fathers don't do this kind of betrayal. Bad fathers do betrayals.

Even if the end was happy and more happy and bright happenings took place, nevertheless the story is (too) "dark" to me. I have a low-spirited mood. I do not feel joy as I get used to feel after finishing a fairy tale. I feel the want of sg, joy? lightness? beauty? ... though the story is over, I still feel uneasy...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I, Coriander.