Holmes's Reviews > Bad Science

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

Jun 19, 12

Rarely do we find a scientist so aggravated that he has to publish a book solely to name and shame others. But Goldacre is more than justified in doing this in his crusade against bad science - nay, it should be "bad filth wearing science's clothing".

From homeopathy to quacky pills, from media nonsense to pseudoscience fakes, Goldacre launches his tireless attacks and punches holes in all things that go against honest science. The amount of dirt that he digs up is unbelievable. I shudder at the sheer pervasiveness of bad science all around us, which at its worst is capable of changing cultures and influencing policies.

But one thing I don't enjoy too much is Goldacre's grumpiness. I know he is angry and he gets personal, but I think he has overdone his fingerpointing when he repeats his accusations over and over again. He makes good points, but it gets tiring after a certain period of time. Instead of stomping directly on his opponents, it might be more effective if he mixed his blames with mockery and sarcasm. That might make him sound less like a grumpy guy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Science.