Craig's Reviews > Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War

Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick

Oct 27, 08

bookshelves: history

Profoundly readable history of the Mayflower and the Pilgrim's Plymouth Colony settlement in the early 17th century. Much of what I was taught about this was either wrong or grossly misleading. It is astounding what the early settlers had thrown at them and managed to barely survive. Brutal weather, horrible leadership, devastating diseases, native American attacks and betrayals, and massive food shortages plagued the settlers right from the start and never let up. It's a story of perseverance and courage against the relentless, unforgiving backdrop of early colonial America.

Philbrick's writing, as usual, is razor sharp, engaging, and extraordinarily readable. I'd highly recommend this book not only for people interested in early American history but also those looking for a surprisingly riveting, fast paced non-fiction read. Truly spectacular accomplishment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mayflower.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Xysea I quite like Philbrick. I read his book about the whaleship Essex, which was the basis for the book Moby Dick. I found it infinitely more readable and interesting than Melville's fictional work; it was compelling and informative.

I had read this book, too, but it is definitely a long read. Still, the story of the journey to North America is something I think every American should read.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 27, 2008 07:18PM) (new)

Philbrick's book about the Essex is near the top of my `to read' list and with two such astute critics as yourselves loving the work it makes me more likely to pick it up. And I will start scouting for Mayflower used.

Suzanne Excellent review