Amanda's Reviews > Magic Slays

Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews

Feb 09, 14

Read in February, 2014

Book #37 of 2012

Having read all of the available books in this series so far, I feel like I can finally decide on the original question, who makes a better Alpha? Curran certainly has a lot going for him. I love how different he has become "in private" with Kate vs. his public persona. His public persona is very much the Beast Lord and people will obey him (!). In private, he shows how much the responsibility of leadership really wears on him, and lets out what he really thinks. But there is still something that is too pushy in him for my tastes. That whole, "get to close to my mate, even if you're just talking, and I'll kill you" thing is just a huge no for me. I don't find that kind of protectiveness attractive, I find it constraining. Luckily, he doesn't do it very often, and there are many things he does that kind of counteract his "do what I say" personality. Of course, it occurs to me that Bones is also very protective of Cat (from the Night Huntress Series), though I think not to the same degree.

I've got to love any book that has my favorite Russian fairy-tale grandmother, Baba Yaga, in it.

I also really enjoyed the dressing-down Kate gave during the "petitions".

There were other things I liked that I won't get into because they are a bit of a spoiler. And the book ended leaving me wanting to know WHAT NEXT in a big way. Too bad I have to wait until 2013 (!) to find out.

FIrst read: June 18, 2012
Second Read: February 9, 2014

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Slays.