Regina's Reviews > The Vagina Monologues

The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler

Jun 18, 2012

bookshelves: feminism, nonfiction
Read from June 22 to 24, 2012

I honestly don't know how to rate this one. On the one hand, there were many parts of it that were very empowering and should receive a full-throated 5 stars and "Hell, yeah!" My absolute favorite monologue was the one on birth. Having had three completely natural home births with my closets friends and family taking an active part, including my older children, I had nothing but positive emotions surrounding this one. I wish there had been more stories related to this aspect of being a woman and having a vagina.

But I have to admit that part of me hated The Vagina Monologues. The dark, broken and twisted part of me was truly embarrassed. I told my husband that I got embarrassed reading it and he asked, "Why? No one knows what you're reading" But I know. And I know the feelings and memories that well up in me when I read it. I know the hurt and betrayals that it exposes. I empathize with those who were victims of violence much greater than I ever had to bear. I truly hated it. In that respect I would like to give it just one star. But that would be a shame because then others might not read it and they should.

Another problem I have with The Vagina Monologues is that I am not my vagina. It is a part of me but not the only part. It should not be feared, shunned or disowned but it is not the whole of me. I'm so much more. I found that the monologues strangely objectified women just as much as modern advertising does even if it was with perhaps a purer intention. Asking what my vagina would wear or say or do apart from the rest of me might have some subtle healing purpose but I just found it awkward. My vagina is not a entity unto itself. It is a part of me. In that respect i would like to give this book 2 stars.

But The Vagina Monologues is something that I would like my daughter to read... eventually. I think I would even like my sons to read it. And my husband, my sisters, my mother. But the people that I would most like to read it (or see it) are those that would try to control women/girls through their gender and genetalia whether they be preachers or parents. Rapists or Congressmen. Especially the Congressmen. That is why I'm going to give it 4 stars. I want them ALL to face the word V-A-G-I-N-A and to face women completely when they try to legislate control of our most intimate selves away from us. I want them to face us as we are completely self aware and we MAKE them understand who we are in our entirety. We are their mothers, sisters, daughters, wives and lovers and we are so much wiser, stronger and able than they can even imagine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vagina Monologues.

06/23/2012 page 42