Alison's Reviews > Dangerous Angels: The Weetzie Bat Books

Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block

I read Weetzie Bat a while ago and while I didn't completely love it, I wanted to read the rest of the books in the series, so I picked up Dangerous Angels. The first book and its four sequels are compiled here in this omnibus, a term I had never heard of until reading other reviews for this collection. The more you know! I have to say that while there is so much to love about Weetzie and her artsy bohemian enclave, I can see how someone could hate these books. There isn't much in terms of plots- it's mostly just descriptions of stuff that the characters do. I had trouble with the way race is presented in this series. Non-white characters are usually portrayed as being more magical/spiritual/supernatual than the white characters. However, these books were revolutionary in their coverage of homosexuality, AIDS, and non-nuclear familes (to name a few topics) at a time when most YA was playing it safe. I think that people's reactions to these books depend on the age and time in which they read them. Adults reading for the first time are likely to be cynical, scoffing at these silly irresponsible teenagers with their delusional flights of fancy. Teens are more likely to become attached to the often beautiful writing and the lovely little world of fantastical, surreal Los Angeles.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Angels.