jenjn79's Reviews > Rough, Raw, and Ready

Rough, Raw, and Ready by Lorelei James

Aug 15, 2010

bookshelves: series-rough-riders, 2009, genre-romance-erotic, info-full, reviewed, theme-bi-menage-hea, published-2008, stars-5, format-trade-pb, pbs-received, favs-all-time, favs-reread, author-lorelei-james
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series, favorite author
Read in March, 2009 , read count: 2

Reread 8/14/10

I've been wanting to reread this one since I first read it. And I think it was even better the second time around. I love this story. For me, it's the ultimate alternative erotic romance. It's one I'll definitely have on my keeper shelf for a long time.

*****

Maybe I'm a bit biased because I love Menage HEA stories, and especially Bi Menage HEAs, but I loved this book. Super hot, great characters, an interesting storyline...I loved pretty much everything about it. If I were picky, I'd give it maybe a 4.75 stars for one aspect I thought could have been better, but really, I just enjoyed the heck out of this book.

Series Note:
Rough, Raw and Ready is the fifth book in Lorelei James' Rough Riders. In the first book, Long Hard Ride, James introduced Trevor Glanzer and Edgard Mancuso, roping partners on the rodeo circuit. The two were closet lovers, but Edgard wanted more. When Trevor wouldn't give it to him, he decided to go back home to Brazil.

Summary:
Through the few most recent additions to the series, James gave tidbits to the fact that Trevor had gotten involved with Chassie West, a cousin to the McKay family. The two married and when this book starts, Chassie and Trevor are happy together, even as they struggle to keep the West ranch functioning. Then Edgard shows back up after a fallout with his family.

Chassie had known about Trevor's past varied sexual exploits, but not that he'd been involved with another man; one he had strong feelings for. She senses right off the bat that something is odd between them. But it isn't until she catches them kissing that she finds out the truth. Because of the situation with her now deceased brother Dag, she's not disgusted, just terribly hurt. After some soul searching she realizes it wouldn't be fair to deny her husband something he obviously needs, but neither does she want to give him up. So the three decide to a menage relationship. Add in some family drama, a surprising connection between Edgard and Chassie, and an atypical relationship, and things are anything but easy for the three.

Review:
This book is smokin' hot. The scenes between Trevor and Edgard..whew! Toss Chassie in and I almost melted into a puddle. I certainly wouldn't mind having a Trevor and Edgard of my very own ;) There is some very descriptive male/male sex, though, so if that doesn't appeal to you, I'd highly recommend not reading this book. Me?...the idea of two buff, hot cowboys gettin' it on is just too yummy for words!

But on a more serious relationship front, I thought James did a good job with their relationship. Not perfect, perhaps, which is where I'd take that .25 off if I could. Chassie was very, very accepting after the initial shock. Once things got fully involved, I though she could have had a little more confusion, a little more worry about how things could possibly work between the three of them. But I liked the way things played out for Trevor and Edgard. Trevor had to come to terms with his feelings for Edgard, and Edgard finally came to realize how it was for Trevor before. For me, the whole thing worked well and I really enjoyed the three of them together. The connection between Edgard and Chassie was a bit odd considering that Edgard was a mostly out of the closet gay man. But when you consider Trevor loved Chassie and Edgard loved Trevor, it's not all that unbelievable. Plus, it's not like Edgard hadn't been involved with women during his orgy years with Trevor and Colby...he just generally preferred women.

Aside from the relationship, Trevor's got to deal with is crappy family. James did a great job with that, with Trevor coming to terms with them. And there's some good McKay stuff in the story. There's a serious family drama/trauma involving one of the unmarried males (won't say who so I won't spoil everyone) that sets up a great story for one of the future books. James also gives Colt a bit more depth and made me anxious to read his and India's story (Branded As Trouble). I really liked the way Colt was portrayed in this book; so different from the drunken lout first introduced. What he did for Chassie near the end was very sweet.

Overall, this story just really worked for me. Chassie, Trevor and Edgard had great chemistry together, and the sex was a 15 on a scale of 1-10. But like I said, I love Bi Menage HEAs so maybe I'm a little biased on this book. Whatever. I liked it a lot and thought it was a great addition to the series.

WARNING, this book contains: explicit sex, explicit language, m/f sex, *explicit* m/m sex, bi m/f/m sex and a bi menage HEA, anal sex, ass play, spanking, light dominance/submission and some mildly rough sex
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rough, Raw, and Ready.

03/11/2009 page 68
24.46% "Really good so far."
03/11/2009 page 116
41.73% "Liking this one a lot. It may end up being my fav of the series...then again, I'm a sucker for Menage HEAs so I'm biased ;)"
03/12/2009 page 177
63.67% "Trevor and Edgard...so hot."
03/13/2009 page 297
100% "*sigh* Yup, this one qualifies as my fav of the series. Review will be posted tomorrow."

Auntee Uh-oh, Edgard's back in town...;D

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds like it's gonna be very hot! I'm already panting!

message 3: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather I cant wait for this one! ;D

jenjn79 LOL...I've only read the first book in this series, but reading the summary of this one, I may have to get this one on ebook.

Auntee Great review, Isis! This sounds awesome, even though a f/m/m menage is not my menage of choice.:) Can't wait for this one to come out in paperback.

And this connection between Chassie and Edgard? You've got me intrigued...

jenjn79 I decided I couldn't wait for the paperbacks and went for the ebooks...glad I did. Already started on the next one ;)

This one is very bi m/f/m every which way...Trevor/Chassie, Trevor/Edgard, Edgard/Chassie, and then the three together. The Chassie/Edgard thing was a little surprising, but it was rather sweet...they're able to give each other something that Trevor doesn't quite give them.

But yeah, I liked this one a lot.

Julie (jjmachshev) Gah! I'm waiting for the print version...

jenjn79 Amazon is listing a Sep 1 release date (just imported the Trade PB entry to GR). According LJ, Samhain has an 11 month wait period between ebook and print.

The wait list at PBS so far has only 19 people so for anyone wanting to snag it there, get in line soon!

Julie (jjmachshev) Oh I'd never be able to wait that long. I'll buy it pre-release and wait by the mail box!

Auntee Okay, what does Edgard give Chassie/Chassie give Edgard that Trevor can't give them? Or do I even want to know?:)

jenjn79 Dirty, dirty mind! ;)

It's actually nothing dirty...they are just able to give each other the sweetness and the tenderness that Trevor is a little to rough around the edges to truly give.

Auntee Gotcha!;)