Karen Sandler's Reviews > The Name of the Star

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Jun 20, 12

Read in June, 2012

Although I read and greatly enjoyed Maureen Johnson's "13 Envelopes" books, I resisted picking up THE NAME OF THE STAR. Not because I doubted its quality, but because I'm a total wuss when it comes to gore. I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that Jack the Ripper figures heavily into the plotline. I'm awfully squeamish about reading about people getting sliced and diced.

That said, despite the occasional gore (all necessary to the story and not the least bit gratuitous), this is a marvelous, can't-put-down story. I should have trusted that this talented author would give me interesting, relatable characters, even the ones like Jack who sent chills down my spine. The storyline doesn't focus strictly on the blood, but instead manages to create a setting and plot that intrigues. She places the everyday, ordinary life of an American girl transplanted from the South to an English boarding school in juxtaposition to a much more ghostly reality. Fun book, and I'm looking forward to the sequels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Star.