Elizabeth's Reviews > Simply Irresistible

F_50x66
Jun 18, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, romance
Read in June, 2012

I picked up this book because of recommendations from the loyal readers of Smart Bitches Trashy Novels. It’s the first novel of Rachel Gibson, a popular contemporary romance author. Readers were divided between loving and disliking the book. I fall in the latter category.

My biggest issue was that the romance between the two main characters lacked depth or development.
Her: I don’t like him. I shouldn’t like him. But he’s so tall and handsome and big. Did I mention big? He’s so big. I must be in love.
Him: I don’t like her. I shouldn’t like her. But wow look at the size of those gozangas. And look at that badonkadonk. I must get me some. Oh, I must be falling in love.

It didn’t help that the book opened with a scene in which our heroine, Georgie, is struggling with math. She’s so bad at math. All I could think of was that atrocious Barbie that came out years ago and repeated the phrase “Math class is tough.” It turns out that Georgie is suffering from a legitimate learning disability, but by the time I found that out all I can think of is “Math class is tough.”

There were some bright spots. Ms. Gibson writes humorous dialogue. Georgie develops into a very likable character with a fine set of gazonga (seriously, I don’t need to hear about the gazonga that much. Really, I don’t).

The hero, however, was way too alpha for me. Georgie kept repeating how much she loved him. I kept thinking, “Really. Still seems like a jerk to me.” I recognize this is an “Old Skool” romance but it just didn’t work for me. If you like underdeveloped relationships between two impossibly beautiful people, however, you just might enjoy this book. And I did like other aspects of Ms. Gibson’s style enough that I might give her another chance.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simply Irresistible.