Heather Book Savvy Babe's Reviews > Forbidden

Forbidden by Jacquelyn Frank

I am a Jacquelyn Frank fan, her world building is fantastic. The supernatural beings she creates are wholly unique and intriguing to me. Forbidden is the first book in a new, spin-off series about a supernatural race called Bodywalkers. Now, I struggled a bit with the Bodywalkers. The thought of one being taking over another was...disconcerting. The whole concept of this new race was a bit weird, but if anyone can pull off a weird concept, it's Jacquelyn Frank.

As the story unfolded, I began to better understand the Bodywalkers, right along with Docia (the protagonist heroine of this story). After Docia almost dies, she accepts an offer to share her life with a Bodywalker (see, kind of weird concept). There is a mysterious element as to who Docia's bodywalker really is, and there is plenty of action throughout the book. The Forbidden element to the story involves the romance between Docia and Ram, who I thought made a great couple, even though Ram had some issues to work out. I enjoyed the characters and I loved the history that each Bodywalker carries. I can't wait to read more of their stories and find out how ancient Egyptian kings and queens learned and grew over the years.

While Forbidden is a spin-off book, it is still a first book in a series. There is a whole new mythology and supernatural element to explain and develop. I absolutely love the Egyptian mythology and historical element that the Bodywalkers bring to the story. The concept of ancient people living multiple lives over centuries is utterly fresh and piqued my interest. It took awhile for me to fully understand the Bodywalker's, to get comfortable with the sharing-a-body concept, and to really get into the story.

For readers who are considering this book: be ready for a completely unique brand of paranormal. This is not vampires, demons, shape-shifters, etc. No, Jacquelyn Frank has created an entirely new paranormal universe, one that exists within the human world, that is fascinating and the characters will draw you in. Now that I am more comfortable with the Bodywalker concept, I am very excited to see what comes next for the Bodywalker's and for the characters that captured my attention.

*Note* I do not think you have to be familiar with Jacquelyn Frank's other books or earlier series to enjoy Forbidden. There is plenty of explanation given throughout the book, and this book is focused on the Bodywalkers.

*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden.