Beth F.'s Reviews > Lover Awakened

Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward

Oct 10, 13

bookshelves: pnr, vampires, 2008, favorites, kindle, 2011, 2013
Read in October, 2013

Oh, my sweet peas and carrots! I lost count on how many times the bottom on my stomach dropped out and sank somewhere down by my feet only to bungee jump right back up and fly straight through the top of my head in sheer delight. Oh yes, this book was dee-licious!

I got married in July 2008 and brought the first two books in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series to keep myself amused on the honeymoon flight. They were cracktastic and addictive and fun and I eagerly added the next title to my queue on booksfree.com (the site I’ve been relying on ever since I put myself on an economical and restrictive book diet that prohibits the purchase of books I won’t reread). Fast forward to October 2008 and I’m still waiting for Lover Awakened, the third book in the BDB series.

The availability of this book has never been on track for the rate that I have returned books and others were repeatedly bumped to the top and sent out instead. Things were getting serious and I was going into some major BDB withdrawal but I lucked out recently when a friend graciously offered to lend me not only this book, but also the fourth, fifth and sixth in the series (thanks Jen!)

And now that I’ve finally had a chance to read this installment, it comes as no surprise that the waiting list is so long. This book is beyond hot!

Zsadist is one twisted mofo and I’ve been extremely curious as to how Ward was going to portray him in a way that would make me sympathize with his unusual tastes. Personally, I think it was a success. Zsadist was a perfect blend of anger, dementia, anger, anger, terror, anger, confusion…and…and…timid tenderness? Which, wow, totally floored me.

***spoilers past this point***

The second book in this series, Lover Eternal, had bothered me for several reasons, one being that the author spent waaaay too much time building up for number three and left a cliffhanger completely neglected at the very end of number two. To me, a cliffhanger means ending the book with an unsatisfying shocker that leaves your reader nearly in pain but eager for the next installment (ie Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series which I’m still twitching in anticipation for!) But in Lover Eternal, the fact that Bella had been kidnapped by a bad guy and had not yet been recovered is not even mentioned at the very end. Instead, Rhage and Mary go on to have their own piss-poor happily ever after and to be quite frank, the fact that they never even mentioned Bella’s kidnapping or even expressed some concern over their friend’s predicament cheapened both of them as individuals in my eyes.

Fortunately this one was totally different. Bella was rescued. Bella was messed up. Bella had a freaky new tattoo. Bella decided Zsadist’s room was the only place she’d feel safe (hmm). Zsadist tweaked out. Zsadist had complete meltdowns on numerous occasions and when Bella finally leaned in and kissed him for the very first time, I almost fell off the couch. It was that good.

Also of noteworthy mention is that the number of times the word “shitkickers” appeared in this novel’s pages was significantly down (thank god). The number of times one Brother said to another Brother, “bla bla bla bla bla bla, true?” was down (what a relief). And references to rap artists I don’t listen to was also down (yesssss!) Overall, I think this book was a complete success and I need to own a copy I can love and cherish forever. I love crack laced with rat poison!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Awakened.

10/12/2008 page 140
32.26% "I'm not getting nearly as much accomplished today as I'd intended. This book is entirely to blame. :D"
10/13/2008 page 215
49.54% "This isn't a library book that's due back TOMORROW so I shouldn't even be reading it. But I can't stop!!!"
10/15/2008 page 387
89.17% "Less than 50 pages to go and I really don't want to be at work right now! Is it lunch time yet?!?"
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by MelissaB (last edited Oct 15, 2008 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MelissaB Glad you enjoyed the book! Hey you think Rhage and Mary got a piss-poor HEA, wait until you read V's story (and Phury too!)

I still love this series and can't wait to read the BDB Insider's Guide. I also had to go out and buy these books, I found them all at my half-price book store.

I commend your ability to wait for your books, I usually get fed up if I can't find them at the library and just ordered them.

Beth F. I’ve heard that the others aren’t so great and that doesn't completely surprise me becuase I thought the first two were just sort of okay. That’s a bummer, but ah vell. What can ya do? I still love ‘em.

And I used to be incapable of waiting for books too. My husband just had a major career change and took a petrifying salary cut as a result of it. In the long run it will be for the best but in the meantime, we’re living like college kids and saving all the “extra” income from my salary to buy our first home. So I don’t really have a choice. It makes me all twitchy, lol!

MelissaB I never used to buy books while I was in college and before, I used to only read books from the library. I have bought way too many since I actually have spending money now, though I try to get them at the used bookstore or used online only if I can't borrow them from the library or if I know I want to reread them. I have started using PBS (paperback swap) to swap books, I think that will save me some money.

We are saving for our first house too, I should probably cut back on the books so I could contribute more to the fund. We are thinking of looking in about a year or so, hopefully the housing market will be better then.

The other BDB books are still great, they are just different. Still a great story but I would say the romance aspect is less the focus than the first three, which bothered a lot of people (but not me).

Beth F. I like some plot with the sexxin’ so I could see myself potentially being okay with a bigger focus spent on the lesser war than all romance, all the time, but you never know. I’m a fickle bee-otch sometimes. :P

Have you guys started looking at homes yet? We probably won't be in the market to buy for another 18-24 months but we started looking 9 months or so ago. It was a lot of fun and it was actually pretty encouraging as far as "yeah, yeah! Let's save our money!" goes.

MelissaB We are waiting probably until spring to look around. We know the general area where we want to go but I know it's going to take a long time because we are both picky. I know what I want and I will not settle for something else. I want a nice sized yard without houses right beside ours, trees, not too big of a house but not too small, a finished basement big enough for a home gym, possible room in the yard for a swimming pool, open floor plan, lots of windows so it's bright and a well set up kitchen.

Surely that's not too much to ask? Haha, my husband thinks we may end up building ours from scratch, you can get land in our target area for a decent price so it wouldn't be too expensive plus we could make sure the house is more "green" aka well-insulated and energy efficient. We will stay in our current place for another year and a half so that should be plenty of time to figure this stuff out.

We have a decent amount saved after saving for two years but we could still stand to save much more for all of the furniture and expenses. Houses are expensive!

Hope your search goes well, it's a hard decision to make.

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen -only4lightn I have found that I am seeking out your reviews. They sum up everything I feel about these books. Of course, I've always been attracted to the bad boy in need of saving, so Z tugged on my heartstrings from the first book.

Beth F. Y'know it has been awhile since I read this book (and subsequently wrote a review) but what you say is so very true. This book still stands out for me and I'm one of those people who forgets nearly as many romances as I read. :)