Laurie Treacy's Reviews > Dissolve

Dissolve by Andrea Heltsley

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from June 18 to 21, 2012

Dissolve was an interesting read. This title falls into the upper YA or mature YA genre. Cora is the main character, a young woman who is planning her wedding to fiance Tom (and it's his mother who is really planning their wedding). Nessa is Cora's best friend, the type of friend any girl would love to call her bestie. When the story opens Cora is drunk and goes into the establishment's restroom where she sits on the floor of the stall. Anyone who uses a public restroom knows this is a definite and disgusting no-no and I couldn't believe Cora did this. Always the dependent friend, Nessa comes in and gets Cora home so she can sleep it off.

Then there's a tragedy and Cora and Nessa have to embark on an unplanned trip to not deal with the police. On their road trip they discover they have 'superpowers' and meet others who also have powers of their own. As I said, Dissolve was certainly a different take on the paranormal. I wasn't crazy about Cora's voice at times, her immaturity, and some of the the decisions she made. I found her lacking emotion in pivotal scenes and could not connect with her. I enjoyed the friendship between the two friends, despite occasional dialogue sounding unreal. The author's writing style was easy to read but at times I found it uneven with some scenes missing key information or others having too much information. The pace was fast which kept me reading and wondering who the bad guy was. Still, for a debut novel, Ms. Heltsley has created a YA novel with an intriguing storyline and I wonder what the rest of this series will hold.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dissolve.