Bridget's Reviews > The Red House

2076050
May 22, 13

bookshelves: 2013-reads
Read in May, 2013

Every time I came across a review of this book, I'd think to myself, "That sounds interesting, I really need to get around to reading the Advance Readers' Copy we have." And then I would think about cake or see something shiny and forget until the next review came along. But a little more than a week ago, I finished a book and was in one of those what-should-I-read-now moods, and saw this on the shelf, and decided to give it a go.

The basic premise of the book is that Richard, a successful doctor in London, invites his sister Angela and her family to stay with them at a rented house in Wales for a week during the summer after their mother has died. Richard and Angela have not really spoken for years, mainly because Richard was off being a doctor and Angela was taking care of their mother. So when the two families get together, it's nothing but awkward. And during the week they spend together, the dynamics of the siblings, as well as those of the various spouses and children, change.

Well, sorry Reviewers and Readers Who Raved About This, but in my opinion, this book = Snoresville. None of the characters appealed to me, and really nothing that happened to them - no matter how "interesting" or emotional - made me care. Every once in a while, there would be a good passage, so I would keep reading. Apparently for no good reason.

I spent only a few hours over several days with these people. If I had been staying with them in the country house for a week, it wouldn't have been pretty. For any of us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red House.

05/14/2013 marked as: currently-reading