Garylikesmanga's Reviews > The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart

Jun 24, 12

I own a copy

To put it simply, what I enjoy about the Mysterious Benedict Society series is the sense of adventure. When puzzles are incorporated, that's fun, too, but that's never been a main focus of the series, despite the genius children as protagonists (and whatever Constance is). I preferred the sequel, 'the Perilous Journey' to the original, due to the grander scale of the adventure. I had trouble really getting into the first story's mission, while the getting to that point was more enjoyable. In this one, the mission was more satisfying. I enjoyed everything about it, from the scavenger hunt (I've always been a fan of scavenger hunts) to the more dangerous encounters with the enemy. The conclusion of the book was summed up in two chapters, which may make it seem slightly abrupt, but I didn't mind that aspect. Also, Reynie, the main protagonist, kind of took a step back and let the other main characters shine, so that was another highlight of the story for me. I'd recommend this one for anyone (young or old) that wants to read a fairly wholesome (there's a slight amount of violence, nothing graphic, of course) adventure story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey.