bjneary's Reviews > Soul Enchilada

Soul Enchilada by David Macinnis Gill

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: funny, ya
Read in June, 2012

I read Black Hole Sun by David Macinnis Gill and knew I wanted to read this book! Gill's humor just moves his books along and you have to love a character (protagonaist) with the name of Bug Smoot. She is a fiesty eighteen year old who drives a classic cadillac (was her grandfather's before he died) to deliver pizzas for a particularly nasty Vinnie. Bug is a mixed race; her mom was Tejana and her dad was black and she was referred to as coyote by everyone. But Bug has a smart comeback for everyone and when she finds her rent is due and the landlord wants it by 5 o'clock and there is a man (devil) in her car and he has come to repossess the car and her soul in 72 hours; Bug really has too much going on. With lots of help from Pesto, the manager at the car wash, with maybe a love interest too, you will laugh as Bug Smoot tries to outwit the devil and lots of other paranormal goings on. Bug and Pesto are so enjoyable while Vinnie and the devil are just plain evil. But Bug Smoot doesn't back down so 72 hours just flies by with sooooo much going on. I loved this humorous book, enjoyed learning about ElPaso and how to kick demon butt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Enchilada.