Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance's Reviews > Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen

Jun 18, 12

bookshelves: children, challenge, creativity, essays, learning, old-age, relationships, work
Read in June, 2012

Anna Quindlen is a little older than me, raised more kids than me, and worked more hours per week than me, but other than these few differences, Anna Quindlen is me.

If you are a Baby Boomer and you are a woman, then you are Anna Quindlen, too.

This book is subtitled A Memoir, but to me it reads more like a series of short essays about life. Very thoughtful essays. Wise essays, full of wise observations and speculations and suggestions that will speak to anyone who is happy every day that the women’s movement came around when it did.

I would love to have Anna Quindlen as a friend. That, of course, is impossible, so I’m glad I was able to do the next best thing and spend a few hours with her book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

JoAnn Great review... I feel the same way!

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance I've recommended this book to several real-life people.

message 3: by Les (new) - added it

Les I gave this to my mom for her birthday (or Mother's Day?). I can't wait to borrow it. I love everything Quindlen's written.

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance She (as I wrote in the review) is someone I'd love to have as a friend.