Courtney's Reviews > Such a Rush

1976394
Jun 26, 12

Read from June 18 to 26, 2012

More reviews at Rondo of a Possible World: YA Book Reviews

Wow. I liked this a lot more than I thought I was going to. To be honest, contemporary titles haven't really been my forte and usually had the tendency to bore me to tears. There are really only very few contemporary writer that I read about and that's John Green and Sarah Dessen. I can say that I will be adding Jennifer Echols to that list as well.

Such a Rush is a raw and emotion filled ride while reading about Leah Jones, a destitute and neglected girl. She grows up with a tough hide and a sharp tounge. She doesn't take shit from anyone. Not her mother. Not the girls at school that call her trash. Not the boys that try to screw her over. She's tough as nails with a dream: to fly.

The concept of flying in this novel is really what made me enjoy it so much. I haven't read a book about planes before, so it was new territory for me. The beginning was a rough start for me because I didn't really understand what I would be getting myself into with this book, but once the first few chapters went by I was able to ease into the book and let the words take me by storm.

Leah's life really sounded like it would pull out all the cliches: crappy mother, hated in school, super pretty. She managed to side step everything or just punch it all in the face. Leah was a character with many flaws, but she just walked right by and gave those defining flaws the middle finger. I liked her, and I knew that I would like the book.

Another character that really grew on me though he wasn't there for most of the book was Mr. Hall. The hardass father but the sweet mentor to Leah. He was a father figure to her and I enjoyed that there was someone out there looking after her and trying to have her clean up parts of her act before anything else could go awry. His words also made me smile. Especially at the end.

The only thing that really didn't sit right with me was the reason why Grayson blackmailed Leah to date Alec. By then I knew that Grayson would be the main love interest, and I was happy about that, but his reasoning didn't make sense on how it would save Alec. I'm not going to say what it is because that would be a huge spoiler. You can read to find out C;

As far as romance goes in this book, I did enjoy the relations between Grayson and Leah, but he is so goddamn infuriating that it made me physically mad. Also, a note to readers, when I said raw before a few paragraphs ago, I really mean it. There are some graphic scenes that made my stomach flip a little. It didn't sway my opinion of the book though.

Final Summation: A wonderful contemporary that brings to light a strong character and the ambition of following your dream. This was a book that I needed to redeem my faith in the contemporary genre. Such a Rush should definitely be read. Right now. This is a story you want to read, and Leah is a character you want to root for.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Rush.

06/25/2012 page 126