Leo's Reviews > Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman

M_50x66
Jun 18, 12

Amazing Grace is a book written by Mary Hoffman and illustrated by Caroline Binch about an extremely imaginative, creative and energetic little Black girl called Grace who is told by her classmates that because she is Black and a girl, she cannot play the role of Peter Pan in her schools production. After being given a motivational speech by her grandmother, she goes back to school and wins the lead role in the play – putting on a performance that her classmates all agree is absolutely brilliant.
This story manages to tackle the issues of self belief, following our dreams and not letting other people’s beliefs and ideas stand in our way in an enjoyable and inspirational manner. The beautifully drawn illustrations really bring the story to life, and allow readers of all ages to engage with the story on an even deeper level. This book would be ideal in KS2 classrooms, where the children would be more aware and have a broader base of experiences to allow them to engage with the subject matter on a wider range of levels. This could also provide a great opportunity to initiate conversations about the ways in which we treat each other and our own hopes and fears.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amazing Grace.