Graeme Newlands's Reviews > The Restraint of Beasts

The Restraint of Beasts by Magnus Mills

Jul 13, 12

Read from June 18 to July 01, 2012

If you're English, then this book is like Men Behaving Badly on Animal Farm. Its written style reminds me of Dahl's tales of the unexpected except outrageously funny. The characters were unusual and involving, I like the way the reader in invited and introduced to the duo of Tam and Richie. It has an almost Orwellian Animal Farm end. They build a Guatanamo bay like animal pen. Its a book i'm going to reread for sure.

There were scenes that had me laughing out loud:
- When the supervisor pulls in a nightclub and has to drive Tam and Richie home. They disappear and having wound the window of his van down, hears their shout echoing through the English streets.
- The descriptions of their driving technique for fencing ending with Donalds machine like style (bone jarring).
- How they decide to leave jobs that are too difficult, and don't question their fate when rerecruited for the Hall Bros who they bailed on through their existing boss.
- Tams dad builds a portcullis outside his house.

Its such a short book that I wish it was less than £8 though. Should have used Amazon's second hand service or trawled the second hand book shops.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Restraint of Beasts.