Natalie's Reviews > His Diamond Bride

His Diamond Bride by Lucy Gordon

Jun 18, 12

Read in November, 2011

I can think of no other words to say other than I loved this book.

The novel starts in the present, but goes back in time. It's set in London at the onset of World War II. Pippa's grandparents are celebrating sixty years of marriage, and their story is told.

I personally love fictional novels set during the time of World War II. This one was different, as I've never read anything fictionwise that was set outside of the United States. Honestly, I can only rave. Lucy Gordon did a wonderful job.

Just a short synopsis: Dee meets her sister's beau, Mark. She falls for him, but he's obviously off-limits. However, fortune shines when her sister decides to run off with a married man, leaving the way, in a manner of speaking, clear for Dee. Dee and Mark become a couple, but Mark's character at this point in the book is a bit cocky and he's a little full of himself. At least, this is how I interpreted the character.

As most romances go, Dee and Mark run over a rough patch and eventually wind up to where they are when the book starts. Celebrating sixty years of marriage and remembering that awful time in the early 1940s.

I loved the story. I loved the characters even though they were, like real people, flawed. But, due to hardships and the revelations that war can bring, they discover what's most important in life.

I've been very vague in my details of the book. I do this to avoid spoilers on top of encouraging people who haven't read this book to go and read it. In my opinion, this wasn't just a romance. It was a nice look back into the past. For me, a bit of a history buff, I'd never read about what life was life for England during WWII. So it was fascinating to read about that as well as being able to read a romance as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Diamond Bride.