Kassel's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from June 18 to 19, 2012

"Well, that was an interesting book," I murmur. My breath hitches in my throat before I mutter dryly, "Oh, please! Ok, so it was poorly written but I found Christian Grey deliciously intriguing." The impressive length of the book was like a chocolate fudge caramel sundae. The grey cover was like grey eyes smoldering with desire. In a low, husky voice, I breathe, "I'm giving this three stars only because I felt compelled to pick up the next book." I gasp, recognizing my own stupidity. My inner goddess does the happy Vishnu dance of joy while my subconscious glares down at me in disapproval. Although I can't understand why the book is a best seller, I am drawn to reading it like a moth to a flame. It's a "big ask," but I am up to reading the next book in the trilogy.
---
With some seriousness, I enjoyed the book overall. That being said, my expectations for the book were VERY low because I've been told how terrible it is. I'd probably give the book 2.5 stars (notice I've rounded up and given it three), but I'm not sure that I'd recommend it to anybody either. The writing is cheesy and repetitive, but despite that, I wanted to know more about Christian Grey in a way that I did not care for Edward Cullen from Twilight. The book ends on a cliffhanger, and I was eager to read more about Christian and learn more of his secrets. I hope Fifty Shades's secrets unravel as the series unfolds.
Likeflag

06/18/2012 page 80
16.0% "This book is so hilarious! I don't think it's intentional but it so terrible, it's awesome."
06/19/2012 page 368
72.0% "OK, so I get it. This is poorly written. Why am I still reading this? ... Because I want to know Christian Grey's secrets..."