Erin's Reviews > Hope Was Here

Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: childrens-book, girl-power, little-romance, one-lone-tear, own
Read from June 18 to 27, 2012

This is a book I've owned ever since I was in... I will estimate and say since I was in sixth grade. It didn't impress me much then, and now after this re-read I can safely say it remains unimpressive.

There are a lot of themes, plots, and characters running around in any story, and I don't think this book juggles them very well. For instance, Hope's longing for a father is mentioned at the beginning, put on the back-burner, then brought up again way later when it's convenient. Same goes for her budding romance with Braverman, her painful relationship with dear old Mom, and basically every other aspect of the story.

There were a lot of characters, and only a handful received any development whatsoever. Many characters actually lost their identity for me-- I had no idea who they were after their boring introductions, and when they kept getting mentioned I was lost.

And I know this book was aimed at younger readers, but would it have killed the author to include some grey characters? Frealzies.

The shining beacon of light in this short book was the food. YUMMY IN MY TUMMY. Comfort food is my #1, and reading about some of these meals made me miss the days when I ate meat. (view spoiler)

Well, that's it for my review. I don't have any special feelings or wrathful complaints to bring up. For me this story is objectively nice (I can see what it might do for young readers who aren't me) but I've never felt any connection to Hope Was Here. And that's that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hope Was Here.

06/20/2012 page 48