Angie's Reviews > Waiting For Daybreak

Waiting For Daybreak by Amanda McNeil

Sep 28, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, requested-reviews
Read from September 26 to 27, 2012

Synopsis: "What is normal?

Frieda has never felt normal. She feels every emotion too strongly and lashes out at herself in punishment. But one day when she stays home from work too depressed to get out of bed, a virus breaks out turning her neighbors into flesh-eating, brain-hungry zombies. As her survival instinct kicks in keeping her safe from the zombies, Frieda can’t help but wonder if she now counts as healthy and normal, or is she still abnormal compared to every other human being who is craving brains?"

My Review: Wow! Not at all what I was expecting! I was expecting Waiting for Daybreak to be a book mostly about zombies and fighting them, but what I found was more a journey into a survivor's psyche. I don't know what was scarier, the zombies or being in Frieda's mind. Amanda McNeil did a great job of using the first person narration and character development to draw us into the story. You really get the full feeling of being alone and not really knowing whether you are the only one. While I found some of her thought tangents a little distracting and not exactly linear, it gave you insight into her mental disorder. I adore Snuggles, and hope that if I am alone in a world like that my cat is still with me for company! One last thing I loved about the book, it takes place in Boston and being only an hour from there and spending a lot of time there, I was really able to picture the destruction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting For Daybreak.