rameau's Reviews > Seikkailijatar

Seikkailijatar by Nicola Cornick

Jun 18, 2012

bookshelves: language-finnish-translation, genre-romance, genre-historical, read-in-2012, genre-travel, manually-added
Read in June, 2012

It's a quick light read; nothing more, nothing less than I expected from a Nicola Cornick book.

Having read and been disappointed by Desired my expectations weren't that high for this novel, but the second half--more like the last third--of the story surprised me positively. Joanna's trip offered few very vivid images and events that helped me to round up the rating despite the distasteful sauna sex.

Seriously people, what will it take you to understand that sauna is not a place for sex?!

I'm choosing to ignore every anachronism I could pick up and suspend my disbelief enough to accept once again a virginalised heroine that somehow is at the centre of most scandalous scandals of early 19th century London society.

Speaking of Desired, I had a moment of déjà vu with couple of scenes. (view spoiler) The situations and settings were slightly different but similar enough to make me wonder just how fixed is Cornick's model for these books or is she simply reaching for that magical scene in her head she can't ever quite capture on page. Which ever it is, it needs to stop. Good for for getting it right--possibly--but it'll be boring to read if I stumble across it again.

On another day and in another mood, I wouldn't have given this book such a high rating. We need those half stars and you didn't hear me say that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seikkailijatar.

06/18/2012 page 130
36.0% "She talks about not confiding in anyone but here she is telling Lottie everything."
06/18/2012 page 289