Rémy 's Reviews > Contact

Contact by Carl Sagan

Jun 26, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction

I have a massive respect for Carl Sagan. Despite that, I’ve never sat down to read his books. I’m glad I did. Initially, I expected it to be an extension of Cosmos, or something similar. Then after a while I figured I was reading a science fiction novel. A rare science fiction novel with fully realized and rich characters… A character-driven science fiction novel?

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed science fiction novels before. In most cases though, the characters feels like two-dimensional empty beings put up as an excuse to tell a story with that cool scientific or sociological idea the writer had.

Contact actually puts its characters right in the center of the story. humankind, in all its flawed glory, as the center of the story about our progress, as we try to search for other life in the galaxy, and how we would handle it if we would actually find proof that we are not alone out there in the universe.

It took me a while to read this one. Contact was a much richer, dense novel than I initially expected. The main character, Ellie, was a fantastic lead for this kind of story. And I especially loved how, despite the arguments against religion from all sides of the scientific characters, the novel never outright bashed religion’s place in the universe.

Not the best novel I read this year, but certainly up there.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Contact.