Michael's Reviews > Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball

Wherever I Wind Up by R.A. Dickey

M 50x66
Jun 18, 2012

it was ok
Read in June, 2012

I will preface this by saying that I am a huge fan of the knuckleball. It's a fascinating, oddball pitch that gives everyone over 30 hope that they could still make it to the bigs. I really wanted to sympathize with Dickey in his quest to change from conventional pitcher to knuckleballer.

I'm sure it's almost universally true that to become a professional athlete must require an extreme degree of narcissism. The amount of work required (necessitating ignoring all non-athletic aspects of life) combined with the accolades that athletes receive make it inevitable. On this front, sadly, Dickey does not disappoint.

I was struck particularly by two parts of the book. First, Dickey goes into great detail about wrongs that were done to him. Fine, this is an autobiography. When it comes to wrongs that Dickey has committed, he's much more circumspect. The paragraph where he reveals his infidelity says, "I have become what I promised to myself I would never become: a caricature of a lustful ballplayer." I'm not asking for a kiss-and-tell, but there is a difference in the scope of the two types of passages.

Second, in the Acknowledgements Dickey thanks his family and apologizes for not being present as much as he should've been ... a few pages after describing an off-season trip to summit Kilimanjaro. Dickey doesn't seem to see the contradiction there.

I started this book wanting to like Dickey more, and ended it liking him less. For that reason, I'm sorry I read it.

The baseball stuff is still cool, and there's lots of great details about being a knuckleball pitcher, but for me the cons outweighed the pros.

8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wherever I Wind Up.

Mark If you read this book wanting to like Dickey more, and ended it liking him less, then I'd love to hear how much you like Kenny Rogers after reading his "Luck or Something Like It" - provided you're a country music fan, of course!