Kate's Reviews > Dead End in Norvelt

Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: 2012, age-middlegrade, age-ya, historical-fiction, teen-book-club
Recommended to Kate by: Teen Book Club selection, Newbery Award winner
Read from June 18 to 21, 2012

Jack's summer vacation is already ruined: after his dad tells him to mow down his mom's corn field to make way for a runway for his new plane, he is grounded for the whole summer. It doesn't really seem to bother Jack, who is still allowed out to help out Mrs. Volker, whose arthritis doesn't allow her to write obituaries for the local paper. Over the summer Jack helps figure out a murder mystery (nothing too gruesome), fixes his bloody nose problem, and has other various adventures.

This was a fun, eclectic book that I'm not sure is totally nonfiction or fiction. Jack didn't really seem to mind his summer isolation and seemed like a pretty happy-go-lucky kid. He also really enjoys hanging out with Mrs. Volker and calls himself her boyfriend. The town of Norvelt is quirky. The murder mystery wasn't a huge part of the story, it was more about the friendship between Jack and Mrs. Volker. I'm not sure how kids will like it, but it was fun and interesting and not too difficult to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead End in Norvelt.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janina (new)

Janina I'm surprised. I've heard from several sources that it sucked.

Kate how did you write that comment 15 minutes ago when I just posted this 2 seconds ago??

message 3: by Janina (new)

Janina I'm good like that :)