Carrie Daws's Reviews > Stories of Faith and Courage from the Home Front

Stories of Faith and Courage from the Home Front by Karen H. Whiting

Jun 18, 2012

bookshelves: christian-nonfiction, military
Read from June 18 to August 10, 2012 , read count: 1

What a great book! It's encouraging to me as a military spouse, but also teaching me so much -- about history, about the internal strength God gave to military spouses and about myself. I definitely recommend this to anyone who is a military spouse or to anyone who wants to understand the heart of a warrior's bride better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stories of Faith and Courage from the Home Front.

06/18
07/02
13.0% "Cooperation means putting needs over desires and pride. --Page 79"
07/11
29.0% ""But with the affliction, [God] does not leave us comfortless! We have permission to come unto him when our burden is grievous and heavy to be borne; we have permission to pray for more submission and reliance on his goodness."

Susan Shelby Magoffin, first woman to embark on the Sante Fe Trail, after the stillborn birth of her first child while on the Trail. April 18th entry."
07/16
35.0% "A fig for your religion, if it only lasts while the sun shines!...With God's help, I can stand anything yet in store for me. I hope to die shouting, 'The Lord will provide!' -- Sarah Morgan, spoken during the Civil War"
07/24
43.0% "We know it would not have befallen us without His permission who overruleth all things. We must do our duty as best we can and believe that the inscrutable Providence who permitted our present situation may be preparing us for a more useful and higher destiny, which without this lesson we might neither have retained or appreciated. -Mary Lee, wife of Confederate Gen. Lee, speaking of the defeat of the South"
07/27 page 290
48.0% "President Wood Wilson: "In 1913, speaking in Trenton, he stated, 'I am sorry for the men who do not read the Bible everyday....It is one of the most singular books in the world, for every time you open it some old text that you have read before a score if times suddenly beams with a new meaning.'""
07/27 page 336
55.0% ""the harder the sacrifice, the more glorious the triumph." --Franklin Roosevelt, fireside chat"
03/24 marked as: read