Terry's Reviews > Awakening

Awakening by Wendy Corsi Staub

Aug 20, 12

bookshelves: z-2012-books, chick-lit, middle-grade-readers, read-aloud-books, series, need-teen-reviewer, ya-12-and-up
Read in August, 2012

Big Kid Reaction: About halfway through book one - which the author donated to the Reading Tub - I ordered the rest of the series for my personal library. The five books, which all-told cover about one year of Calla's life, were devoured in a week. The story is a set of tightly woven subplots about relationships: mother and daughter; father and daughter; friends and boy friends; and how they connect to our past and our present, as well as guide our future.

Calla is the main character, but her grandmother Odelia is what makes the story work. Throughout the story, Calla faces questions about what her life will be like without her mom. As she begins to unravel her mom's history she is drawn to Odelia as a connection to her mom, but also as someone who might help her understand what is happening and how to reach her.

Pros: This book has everything a teen (boy or girl) could eant: fast pace, mystery, characters going through what they're going through, and realism.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awakening.